Salton Sea Night Sky Adventure with Katrina Brown
Join night sky expert, Katrina Brown, on location at one of the most beautiful, interesting, and unusual places you’ll ever experience. This night-time Adventure which will teach you how you can capture mesmerizing natural and urban images! Learn how to photograph stars moving in the sky or change a scene by creatively adding lights or even build drama by integrating star trails and light painting. Katrina’ creativity and proven methods make it easy for you to get stunning images!
There will be a pre-trip class on June 21st at 7 pm via Zoom to learn your settings and familiarize you with the experience. At the Salton Sea, we’ll go to work at dusk and shoot until the wee hours of the morning.
Post processing will be done when we return via Zoom on June 30 at 7pm.
We’ll also shoot with a model throughout the weekend.
- After Dark: Capture Salton Sea’s unique personality, sky, and surrounds at night!
- During the Day: Independent scouting, some processing, and rest! Workshop is in the evening only. Daytime is on your own.
- Includes:1. How-To Prep Class June 21st at 7 pm 2. Location photography at Salton Sea Friday Night and Saturday night with onsite assistance and a model each evening. 3. Post-production follow up class June 30 at 7pm
- Does Not Include: Transportation, meals, accommodations, and model gratuity
• Knowledge of how to use your camera in manual and bulb model, how to set-up camera, focus, change white balance, shutter and aperture in the dark.
• Wired release is REQUIRED. Wireless, internal or phone apps at your own risk. The delay will cause you to miss light painting shots and no workflow compensation can be made on site to accommodate. Wired release required for success.
• Wide angle lenses anywhere from 14-24mm will work great 1.8 or 4.0 will work, you just may have to compensate with higher ISO. During the day if you want to shoot birds you may want to bring a telephoto lens.
• Highly recommend 2 cameras. One to run star trails, the other to shoot Milky Way stills, light painting etc. This makes the most of you time there but is not required. That means 2 of everything (tripod, triggers, extra batteries etc)
• Comfort items such as a chair, blankets etc to keep you comfortable while your camera shoots star trails for 3-4 hours.
• Bombay Beach area has no standard hotel and is 45 minutes away in Brawley. The Brawley Inn is a decent hotel. If you’re feeling adventurous, book an AirBnB in Bombay Beach! This way you are close to where we will be shooting and you won’t be driving far late at night.
• Food-There is a local bar and Legion however they aren’t consistent in their operating hours so I suggest bringing all food/drink in just to be safe. There are no fast food or restaurants close by.
• We will meet at 6 pm each night in Bombay Beach to caravan to shoot location chosen for that evening. Exact locations will be determined by weather at instructor’s discretion and are not given beforehand.
• Keep in mind the Salton Sea is an area that has challenges, algae blooms that smell, and unique topography. While these things may sound bad, there’s a lot of beauty if you look through the right lens.